sábado, 8 de dezembro de 2012

Waht is this for? Who is all of this for? Trapped in consumerism!

If this is the end of the world....this must be one of its signs!!! Saturday morning in Cape Town. 8th of December 2012. Thousand of people on the streets. It looks like all the world has decided to spend holiday here. I wake up with a strange feeling of doing something (strange Tina....mhmhm you are lying!!!). I need to buy some canvas to paint and meet Nicholas at the new Superette in Woodstock. Brent gives me a ride to the Biscuit Mill, an open market where all Cape Townnians and tourists have breakfast on a Saturday morning. I observe and observe. Cape Town has become addictive to design, fashion, or maybe it has always been. At the Biscuit Mill there is a concentration of designers that I lost my count. Shirt designer, shoe designer, dress designer, jewellery designer, food designer, cake designer, pizza designer, sandwich designer, chair designer.............. It is almost a decadency!!! Everybody need to design something to be on truck. I look around and there is a variety of food and food and food that you cannot decide what you can really eat, what you would like to eat,what is healthier and not. Quantity quantity quantity..... And suddenly I think to the crisis the world is undergoing. There is no money, more poor people are increasing....however other still continue to spend so much money!!! 1000 R. for a leather bag!!! What for? 500 R. for a ring!!! What for? 1000 R. for a shirt!!! What for? 350 R. for a smally thingie of leather!!! What for? 250 R. for a old crane!!! What for? Like Brent's father says ....this is stuff for white people. Only white people can spend thousand of rent to buy a stupid crane to hung on the wall at home!!! Or black middle class. I notice a rush to buy things, to eat things, to consume things.... WHAT FOR? and Who is all of this for? We complain about poverty.... oooo poor one...ha cannot afford, she cannot eat.....poor kid.... what do we really do then? Then there are other among us who does not even bother to think about! No consciousness at all! The other does not belong to us, to me...so why bother? It is windy on a Saturday morning in Cape Town. Summer has almost arrived. I heard the world is going to end soon. Other say we are going to confront a big change. I am just sad to see this massive crowd of people....I walk away. It is better to walk home! My skirt flies with the wind. ... I feel imprisoned in this world!!!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário