segunda-feira, 25 de abril de 2011


11.31 pm Cape Town

I am at home, studying for the next essay that I need to prepare for the Course on Social Justice, Law and Poverty.

It is cold outside: today it is the first winter day after a beautiful summer.There must be 15 degrees outside.

I wear two pairs of trousers, three layers of shirts and a blanket on my shoulders. I an still cold.

I decide to smoke the last cigarette before to go to bed.

I drive myself on the balcony and surprisingly I notice a line of people laying under the rain in the cold Sea Point, the area where at moment I live.

Surprisingly I cannot believe what my eyes seeing.

I have been living in this apartment since October and over this time Police and Private Companies have been patrolling the streets to "clean up" the roads. To date, homeless have been forced to leave and go somewhere else because they are not welcome.

Tonight is cold and while I smoke my cigarette I cannot take my eyes away from what I see.

Suddenly there is no Police, suddenly there is no personnel who is patrolling the street. And the homeless are there, happily? and freezing under the rain.

I do ask myself if the winter is going to change the policy that has been applied over summer time. Now there is not need to "clean up" the street?

It is too cold for the Police to come over and cease homeless away.

What Social Justice is this?

I am still cold, although inside the apartment and the homeless are freezing more than me!

I took a picture few weeks ago: the sign says that it is not allowed to sleep outside. Suddenly it is!!!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário